With 90% of our time spent inside, it’s critical that our homes, businesses, and community centers are energy efficient and climate resilient. Buildings that we live, work, and play in currently account for one-third of greenhouse gas emissions in low-income communities and communities of color, decreasing quality of life through poor insulation, increased air pollution, high energy bills, and inability to withstand climate disasters.
To solve this challenge, IMT leverages our technical and policy expertise to empower communities as they advocate for safer housing and lower energy bills; to support governments as they create new, human-centered legislation; and to facilitate climate-conscious business choices that propel corporations to the cutting edge of their industries.
As a new landlord and homeowner, energy efficiency seems daunting and complicated. Being able to quickly identify and address areas for improvement helps me manage and minimize the environmental impact of my property. These resources help me meet my goals, and communicate these goals to my tenants, in a way that saves us all time and money.
— Joel Bartlett, WarmUp Cincy grant recipient and affordable housing owner
Ways to Support IMT
When you give a memorial or tribute gift to IMT to honor someone special, you’re expressing your love, admiration, and gratitude in one of the most meaningful ways there is. Your gift will honor your loved one, create a lasting tribute, and drive impact extending beyond supporting climate change.
For more information, contact email@example.com.
Many employers sponsor matching gift programs. Join your company’s campaign and double the impact of your gift by asking your employer to match your gift.
Request a matching gift form from your employer and send it completed with your gift. Our EIN number is 94-3241464.
If you have a Donor Advised Fund (DAF), you can make a gift to IMT from your fund today. Contact your DAF administrator or sponsor organization to initiate a gift and provide them with this information:
Institute for Market Transformation
PO Box 66526
Washington, DC 20035
Tax ID number: 94-3241464
You may also wish to name IMT as an organizational beneficiary of your Donor Advised Fund.
Have questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can transfer funds from your IRA directly to IMT. This is an effective way to have an immediate impact and further our work of improving catalyzing decarbonization of buildings.
Here’s how it works:
- You must be 70 ½ or older.
- An individual may transfer up to a total of $100,000 per year and a married couple may give up to $200,000.
- Your gift must be transferred directly from the IRA account to the Information for Market Transformation.
- Your gift is a transfer of funds from your IRA to IMT so it does not create taxable income for you and is not considered a charitable tax deduction.
- If you are 72 and older, the transfer of funds counts towards your annual Required Minimum Distribution* from your IRA.
If you’re interested in this popular way to support IMT download a sample letter for your IRA administrator here.
Donating stock or securities offers a number of benefits:
- A federal income charitable contribution tax deduction based on the stock’s fair market value on the date of the gift (up to 30% of your adjusted gross income) if the stock was owned for more than one year;
- Carryover of the deduction for up to five additional years if the fair market value of the gift is more than 30% of your adjusted gross income; and
- Avoidance of capital gains tax that is due when you sell appreciated stock.
**Note: Stock owned for one year or less is considered a short-term asset and usually won’t produce attractive tax benefits.
Also, if stock has decreased in value, selling it and making a cash gift to IMT is probably more beneficial. You can take a capital loss on federal taxes and still enjoy a charitable deduction up to 50% of your adjusted gross income. Please contact IMT’s Development Team at email@example.com to discuss this generous donation.
- Fundraise on Facebook: Hosting a Facebook fundraiser is an easy and simple way to tap into the power of your social network. Consider hosting a Facebook fundraiser to celebrate your birthday, wedding or another special occasion.
- Host a virtual event: You can direct attendees to donate on our website, or ask them to write checks made payable to IMT.
- Host a Zoom party: Reach out to your friends and family, and host a virtual fundraiser in honor of IMT. Consider a game night, happy hour, dessert party or wine tasting. All you have to do is pick a date and invite your friends!
- Honor IMT on your birthday, wedding or other special event: For your next special event, ask your friends and family to donate to IMT instead of giving presents. We’ll help you spread the word about our work and your generosity!
For help in exploring any of these options, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Buildings aren’t just walls and equipment—they’re our homes and workplaces. They’re where we raise our families and where we send our children to learn and grow. They house our communities, providing space for us to connect with one another. Now, more than ever, we need them to help bring out the best in our communities.
— Lotte Schlegel, IMT Executive Director
The Internal Revenue Service recognizes the Institute for Market Transformation as a Section 501 (c) (3) public charity. Gifts to IMT are tax deductible in the U.S.A. Our Federal Tax ID # is 94-3241464.
If you would like further information on ways to support our efforts and work with us, please contact email@example.com.