The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT), seeks a Development Manager to serve a vital role in helping IMT secure resources that enable us to deliver bold energy and climate solutions in partnership with communities, businesses, and government stakeholders. This person will contribute to fundraising planning and implementation, working with current and future IMT donors and collaborating with IMT’s development team on donor cultivation and stewardship, proposal writing and reporting, and management of development processes. The Development Manager will report to the Associate Director of Development.
The ideal candidate is highly organized with excellent communication skills, who is comfortable with managing projects with lots of moving parts.
Specific tasks may include:
- Provide strategic input into multi-year approaches to expand major donor engagement and support for IMT energy, climate and social equity
- Ownership of philanthropic, private, and government donor prospecting by identifying and researching potential funders aligned with IMT’s mission, sourcing grant opportunities, and reporting recommendations to IMT leadership.
- Maintain funding related records and manage the delivery of deadlines and reports, including coordinating funder meetings, as needed.
- Work with IMT’s Communications team on digital content for donor appeal emails and make recommendations for the timing and parameters of appeals, as well as drafting donor appeal emails and other fundraising materials, as needed.
- Draft donor acknowledgement letters
Grant and donation management
- Support end-to-end grants management by:
- Draft letters of intent, grant proposals, and impact reports
- Establish and monitor timelines for proposal development
- Assist program staff in developing project narratives, tracking metrics and meeting grant goals, and promoting accomplishments to funder audiences
- Submit grant proposals and reports in a timely manner
- Manage campaigns in IMTs’ Development portal in Salesforce, owning their creation and entering cash and in-kind gifts (including matching gifts, recurring gifts, offline donations, grant awards, membership payments, etc.) and pledges.
- Track and provide weekly and monthly reports on the performance of all grants and other fundraising initiatives, including corporate donations and memberships, grant awards and individual donor contributions.
- Provide annual information updates to in GuideStar and Charity Navigator
- Contribute to other priority projects as needed
Qualifications and Skills
- Undergraduate degree
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, with foundation proposal and donor appeal writing experience
- Experience with fundraising or philanthropy, particularly in a nonprofit or corporate setting
- Prior experience working with constituent data management systems, preferably Salesforce
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Strong strategic thinking and creative problem-solving skills
- Passion to contribute to climate protection and advancing social and environmental justice
This is a full-time position located at IMT’s headquarters in Washington, DC. However, remote employment will be considered in the following cities or surrounding areas: Baltimore, MD; Philadelphia, PA; Newark, NJ; or New York, NY. IMT currently encourages remote work in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The salary range for this position is $80,000 to $90,000, commensurate with experience and based on geographic location. IMT offers a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental, life insurance and disability coverage. IMT also offers generous paid time-off and certain commuter benefits for the DC-metro area.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Development Manager” in the subject line.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) is a trusted, non-partisan nonprofit organization that works to ensure that everyone in the U.S. benefits from high-performing buildings in all facets of their lives. IMT bridges the intersection of business, government, and community priorities to spotlight business practices and advance public policy to improve U.S. buildings. We do this by co-creating and deploying public policy and business practices that drive widespread market action toward improving how we collectively build, design, and operate the spaces where people live, work, learn, connect, and play. To learn more about our work, visit www.imt.org/about.
Headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, we provide a vibrant, collaborative, and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. IMT is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts across our organization. We empower our staff to constantly learn while achieving big goals, and have fun along the way.
IMT is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) seeks a dynamic Senior Manager for Business Engagement to manage programs and projects within IMT’s business engagement strategy to drive market adoption of decarbonized, high-performing buildings and improve community livability where these buildings are located. The successful candidate is passionate about sustainable practices, and has an entrepreneurial spirit with the confidence to explore, create, and lead non-traditional solutions that strive to change business as usual. This role provides a unique opportunity to drive market-transforming solutions that harness the momentum of leading companies as they raise their climate ambitions to achieve carbon, energy, and social objectives of unprecedented scale. The Senior Manager will lead IMT’s work in performance-based leasing and its Green Lease Leaders program, and will provide clear recommendations for the program’s evolution.
The Senior Manager will also contribute to the Business Engagement team’s overall strategy and goals with a particular focus on responding to, as well as influencing, Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) reporting and impact investing trends. The individual will have experience working in the real estate industry, and be able to represent IMT externally with a range of relevant stakeholders. These include but are not limited to owners, operators, tenants, lenders, investors, brokers, attorneys, retailers, energy service providers, community stakeholders, and local government. This position reports to the Director for Business Engagement and will work collaboratively across the organization.
- Advise government agencies, property owners, large tenants, and other real estate stakeholders on how to improve the building energy and ESG performance through strategic programs and policies, especially performance-based leasing.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with national peer organizations and real estate industry stakeholders.
- Contribute to evolving the strategic direction of projects and programs related to IMT’s overall business engagement work in line with the organization’s BuildUp 2030 strategic plan.
- Build connections and supportive working relationships between private sector projects and programs and the work of IMT’s community engagement and policy teams.
- Develop forward-thinking solutions that accelerate demand for efficiency through performance-based leasing, tenant programs, commercial real estate financing, and technology.
- Assist in organizing and facilitating regional or national events with partners and stakeholders.
- Present at local, regional and national events as a subject matter expert.
- Contribute to written resources including blog posts, white papers, and other research efforts.
- Manage and oversee consultants and interns.
- Contribute to business development and fundraising as directed.
Qualifications and Skills
- Undergraduate and/ or graduate degree in real estate, finance, sustainability management, business, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of five years of experience in real estate, sustainability, and/or energy efficiency.
- An entrepreneurial drive and comfort exploring new ideas for tackling difficult climate and energy problems head-on, with a demonstrated ability to devise creative, structured approaches to overcoming such challenges.
- Strong knowledge and demonstrated experience in energy efficiency and high-performance building operations required.
- Demonstrated experience with Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) reporting, especially Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB).
- Ability to lead multiple projects simultaneously and manage complex workflows. Project management experience required.
- Skilled communicator (written and verbal) with a professional demeanor who can develop and present material with confidence, and can read the interest of the audience and pivot presentation tactics accordingly.
- Ability to work with a variety of stakeholders, including building owners and operators, policy-makers, finance professionals, local government and community stakeholders.
- Ability to build consensus around project priorities.
- Experience managing staff/interns directly preferred.
This is a full-time position located at IMT’s headquarters in Washington, DC. However, remote employment will be considered in the following cities and surrounding areas: Chicago, IL; Denver, CO; or New York, NY. IMT currently encourages remote work in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The salary range for this position is $90,000 to $100,000, commensurate with experience and based on geographic location. IMT offers a competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental, life insurance and disability coverage. IMT also offers generous paid time-off and certain commuter benefits for the DC-metro area.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write “Senior Manager – Business Engagement” in the subject line.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, with a mission to catalyze demand for high-performing buildings. Achieving this vision requires market transformation through strategic interventions that remove barriers and to provide an easier path to an energy-efficient built environment. We work in partnership with businesses, policymakers, and environmental groups that are leading the future of energy efficiency. With over 20 years of experience, IMT has supported large-scale outcomes as a driver of important new practices and policies that benefit cities, businesses, the economy and the environment.
Headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, we provide a vibrant, collaborative and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. We empower our staff to constantly learn while achieving big goals, and have a great deal of fun along the way.
IMT values all types of diversity-including racial, ethnic, and gender–and is committed to promoting and fostering a diverse organization. IMT is an equal opportunity employer.