IMT currently has the following positions open:
Associate Director of Utility and Regulatory Strategy
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) seeks a dynamic individual to develop and implement a broad-ranging utility and regulatory strategy that will be a key element in achieving IMT’s ambitious goals of reducing U.S. building energy use. The successful candidate is passionate about energy efficiency and has an entrepreneurial and collaborative spirit with the confidence to explore, create, and lead. With an eye towards the sweeping regulatory changes required to make our clean energy future a reality, the successful candidate will develop and deploy local, state, and national level strategies to achieve broad-scale transformation. The Associate Director will be an effective and creative collaborator, skilled at envisioning and establishing productive partnerships with complementary organizations for maximum impact. With an appetite and aptitude for representing IMT as a thought-leading industry expert, this individual will contribute heavily to IMT’s growth in the regulatory and utility space—ultimately helping cities, states, and companies envision and engage in utility and regulatory strategies that spur action to achieve clean energy goals.
- Lead the development of a comprehensive utility and regulatory strategy that will guide IMT’s internal and external activities and evolve as market and regulatory conditions change and new opportunities are identified.
- Identify, establish relationships with, and implement productive, high-impact partnerships with other organizations working to effectively advance change at commissions and utilities.
- Understand and collaborate with all IMT practice areas to ensure the strategy supports and is consistent with IMT’s other work.
- Work with IMT’s development team to successfully fundraise for deployment of IMT’s regulatory and utility strategy.
- Build and lead a team of 1-3 people to implement the strategy as funding becomes available.
- Represent IMT externally as a thought-leading subject matter expert on utility and regulatory affairs.
- Drive local, state and national collaboration in key impact areas identified in the strategy.
- Broad understanding of the electric and natural gas utility industries and the regulatory system under which they operate.
- Proven record of successful engagement in arenas with competing and conflicting stakeholder priorities. Stakeholders and audiences include efficiency advocates, local governments, state governments, utility staff, regulatory staff and commercial real estate interests.
- Proven record of accomplishment in establishing and maintaining partnerships and collaborative relationships and forums.
- Regulatory and/or legislative experience, including a solid understanding of when legislation is required to drive changes in state regulatory policy needed to achieve IMT’s goals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, able to synthesize and clearly articulate complex issues.
- Ability to think flexibly and use interdisciplinary approaches to problem solving.
- Strong existing network of regulatory and utility experts.
- Experience with and understanding of local governments, including their goals, concerns, and limitations in addressing utility, regulatory and legislative issues.
- Broad understanding of the commercial real estate market, including the stakeholders’ motivations and concerns regarding implementation of energy efficiency measures under either voluntarily or mandatory scenarios.
How to Apply
This is a full-time position with a strong preference for someone based in IMT’s Washington, DC office. IMT offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience. To apply, please email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please write “Associate Director of Utility and Regulatory Strategy” in the subject line.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a mission to catalyze widespread and sustained demand for high-performing buildings. Achieving this vision requires a market transformation through strategic interventions that remove barriers and to provide an easier path to an energy-efficient built environment. We work in partnership with businesses, policymakers, and environmental groups that are leading the future of energy efficiency. With over 20 years of experience, our small organization contributes to large-scale outcomes by driving important new practices and policies that benefit cities, businesses, the economy and the environment.
We are headquartered in downtown Washington, DC, a few blocks from the White House. We provide a vibrant, collaborative and flexible workplace that brings together diverse expertise. We empower our staff to constantly learn while achieving big goals, and we have a great deal of fun along the way.
IMT values all types of diversity—including racial, ethnic, and gender—and is committed to promoting and fostering a diverse organization. IMT is an equal opportunity employer.