We are transforming buildings into climate justice solutions.
Buildings are an intrinsic part of our housing, energy, and climate change challenges. We lead the way on strategies to make buildings healthier, more efficient, more affordable, and more resilient to severe weather.
Our unique approach combines technical knowledge with community-created solutions that create a world where buildings positively transform people’s physical, social, and economic well-being.
Download an overview of our work or read further.
Federal, state, and local governments have long sought IMT’s expertise on building performance policies ranging from benchmarking to retrofits and building performance standards. Our programs help design and implement policies, bolster energy code efficacy and adoption, and facilitate strong relationships between utilities, policymakers, and community members.
- Building performance policies are a central focus and area of expertise for IMT. We provide technical and strategic support to jurisdictions at all levels of government. IMT also manages President Biden’s National Building Performance Standards Coalition which encourages jurisdictions to commit to building performance policies. Download our Policy factsheet.
- Energy Efficiency Codes Coalition advocates for the creation and adoption of strong energy codes that will ensure long-term affordability and resilience to extreme weather. Download the EECC factsheet.
- Utility strategy includes engaging community-based organizations in utility decision-making, designing grid-interactive buildings, coordinating building policies with utility incentives and strategies, and enabling access to energy data. Download our Power Sector factsheet.
Frontline Community Leaders
To achieve equitable outcomes for building policies, IMT incorporates frontline/communities of color into all our strategic planning and programs. In addition, we have specific programs dedicated to partnering with and providing support to community-based organizations.
- Community Climate Shift is a network of partners in race and gender equity and environmental justice, building decarbonization, and philanthropy all dedicated to community-led solutions for improving buildings and ensuring the benefits flow to frontline communities. Download the CCS factsheet.
- Community Engagement provides funds and increases capacity for community-based organizations to navigate policy development processes. Download our Community Engagement factsheet.
Real Estate Leaders
IMT’s long history of collaboration with the real estate and buildings sector has given us an understanding of the challenges companies face in improving the performance of buildings. Our programs offer critical services to the full spectrum of commercial real estate stakeholders, from owners and managers, to design and construction professionals.
- Building Innovation Hub supports real estate actors in the Washington, DC area to improve building efficiency and performance and comply with DC’s building performance standard. Download our Hub factsheet.
- Building Performance Partnership is a network of place-based high-performance building hubs that support the private sector. It is co-led by IMT and the Building Energy Exchange in New York City. Download the BPP factsheet.
- Corporate Engagement Opportunities (CEO) provides reliable policy and financial risk information to real estate stakeholders, including access to our Energy Policy Database. Download our CEO program overview.
- Green Lease Leaders is an award recognition program with the Department of Energy that sets the standard for green and performance-based leasing. Download the GLL factsheet.
- VHE HVAC is an innovative, whole buildings approach to dramatically lowering energy and improving air quality. IMT has a number of demonstration sites through partnerships with Budderfly, ComEd, New York State Energy Research and Development and the Department of Defense. Download our VHE HVAC factsheet.