Strong energy codes ensure buildings use energy efficiently, cost less to operate, and are healthy and comfortable for occupants.
Despite these benefits, compliance with energy codes could be better. Initiatives for training, outreach and code compliance to boost the use of energy codes are severely underfunded. However, some jurisdictions are finding ways to raise compliance rates even with constraints on their budgets and time.
Now in its third year, the Standard Bearers Award will be presented for the first time by the Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) and the International Codes Council (ICC). The award recognizes state and local jurisdictions and individuals that have raised compliance with energy codes and achieved energy reduction in buildings using smart, cost-effective strategies.
There are three award categories:
State Level Winner
Energy Code Leader
Award recipients will receive a travel stipend to attend the 2014 ICC Annual Conference and Public Comment Hearings in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., to be honored at the ICC Awards Luncheon. Winners will also be photographed and featured in a press release sent to national and local media.
These Standard Bearers demonstrate that leadership at all levels is crucial to achieving energy code compliance. Their leadership can help shape policy and best practices for improving code compliance across the country. Past winners have ranged from individual leaders who are making a state-wide impact to state governments and local building departments who help develop strong energy codes and an exemplary built environment compliance infrastructure.
IMT and ICC are pleased to welcome a panel of past award winners and foremost experts on building codes and energy efficiency. Together, these experts will help select the recipients of the Standard Bearers Award. The selection panel includes:
- Lauren Westmorland, Energy Codes Manager, Southeast Energy Efficiency Alliance
- Gil Rossmiller, past Standard Bearers Award Winner, Chief Building Inspector, Town of Parker, Colorado
- Stephen D. Jones, CBO, President of the ICC Board of Directors
- Cosimina Panetti, Deputy Executive Director, Building Codes Assistance Project
- Brent Ursenbach, past Standard Bearers Award Winner, ICC Combination Inspector, Mechanical & Energy Specialist, Salt Lake County, Utah
- John Umphress, past Standard Bearers Award Winner, Green Building & Sustainability Consultant, Austin Green Building Energy
- Greg L. Wheeler, ICC Board of Directors and Chair of ICC Awards Committee