Alexandra Laney, Senior Communications manager, IMT
firstname.lastname@example.org, (202) 525-2883 x301
Washington, DC – March 31, 2020 – The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) is proud to announce that it is a 2020 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year for its outstanding efforts in energy efficiency program delivery.
“IMT is dedicated to making buildings sustain the world around them and the people inside them. We help building owners, cities, tenants, and utilities reduce energy costs and emissions, and create jobs and healthy spaces. For more than a decade, ENERGY STAR has been a great partner to IMT and the real estate companies and local governments with whom we work,” said Lotte Schlegel, Executive Director of IMT. “ENERGY STAR is an invaluable resource for businesses, governments, and others to improve the performance of their buildings and make more informed decisions. ENERGY STAR is deservedly the most recognized and trusted brand in this space, and we are proud to promote the adoption of its tools. We are honored to be named a 2020 Partner of the Year.”
“I salute the 2020 ENERGY STAR award winners,” said Anne Idsal, EPA Principal Deputy Assistant Administrator for Air and Radiation. “These leaders demonstrate how energy efficiency drives economic competitiveness in tandem with environmental protection.”
In 2019, IMT’s work in supporting ENERGY STAR to deliver energy efficiency programs included:
- Accelerating the development of building performance standards that require performance improvements across a range of buildings in a jurisdiction. As an industry leader in BPS development, IMT champions ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager as a fundamental tool. To date, IMT continues to work with a growing list of jurisdictions interested in this new policy tool and the role ENERGY STAR can play in reducing carbon emissions.
- Supporting new city benchmarking legislation that will increase the number of buildings benchmarked through Portfolio Manager, while also ensuring this data is put to use. IMT regularly publishes tools to help city leaders and building owners and tenants optimize and act on ENERGY STAR data, including IMT’s Putting Data to Work initiative and the City Energy Project Resource Library.
- Driving private sector engagement with ENERGY STAR tools. In 2019, IMT facilitated four workshops and engaged over 100+ tenants and landlords in aligning landlord-tenant goals, highlighting ENERGY STAR’s potential to help resolve barriers.
- Updating IMT’s online education course for real estate brokers, which prominently promotes ENERGY STAR certification and scores for buildings. This curriculum is one of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s Top 10 Better Buildings resources.
- Driving energy-efficient building retrofits with Portfolio Manager through support for cities aligned with the City Energy Project, the American Cities Climate Challenge and the Urban Sustainability Directors Network.
For a complete list of 2020 winners and more information about ENERGY STAR’s awards program, visit www.energystar.gov/awardwinners.
About the Institute for Market Transformation
The Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) is a national nonprofit organization focused on decarbonize buildings by catalyzing widespread and sustained demand for high-performance buildings. IMT leverages its expertise in the intersection of real estate and public policy to make buildings more productive, affordable, valuable, and resilient. IMT ignites greater investment in high-performance buildings through hands-on expert guidance, technical and market research, policy and program development and deployment, and promotion of best practices and knowledge exchange. IMT’s efforts lead to important new policy outcomes, widespread changes in practice, and ultimately, lasting market shifts toward greater energy efficiency, with substantial benefits for the economy and the environment. For more information, visit imt.org and follow us on Twitter at @IMT_speaks.
About ENERGY STAR
ENERGY STAR® is the simple choice for energy efficiency. For over 25 years, EPA’s ENERGY STAR program has been America’s resource for saving energy and protecting the environment. Join the millions already making a difference at energystar.gov. More background information about ENERGY STAR can be found at energystar.gov/about and energystar.gov/numbers.
Thousands of industrial, commercial, utility, state, and local organizations—including more than 40 percent of the Fortune 500®—rely on their partnership with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to deliver cost-saving energy efficiency solutions. Together, since 1992, ENERGY STAR and its partners have helped save American families and businesses over $450 billion and over 3.5 trillion kilowatt-hours of electricity while also achieving broad emissions reductions—all through voluntary action.